Kern County Consortium SELPA

Resources for Parents/Community

Children who have disabilities require special attention and services.
Research shows that the best time
to intervene is before the child is three years old.
During the earliest years, the greatest progress
can be made in overcoming physical and educational delays

I believe my child needs special education services…

Informed and involved parents are essential in the success of any school program. The SELPA website is designed to give parents access to basic information about the special education processes and services. We hope this information is helpful when considering the educational needs of your child.

CAC Parent Training & Materials

Recording: How Parents Can Help Their Students Connect to DL-English
Recording: How Parents Can Help Their Students Connect to DL-Spanish

Recording: Social Skills in a Distance Learning Environment-English
Recording: Social Skills in a Distance Learning Environment-Spanish

Recording: Navigating Through the Virtual IEP Process-English
Recording: Navigating Through the Virtual IEP Process-Spanish

Websites of Interest

  • Community Advisory Committee
  • California Children’s Services
    California Children’s Services (CCS) is a state program that provides health care and services for children up to 21 years old with certain diseases, physical limitations, or chronic health problems.
  • Clinica Sierra Vista
    Clinica Sierra Vista is a comprehensive health care organization, serving the primary medical, dental and behavioral health needs of a huge patient population in Kern, Fresno, and Inyo counties.
  • Shriner’s Hospitals for Children
    Shriner’s Hospitals for Children provides quality care to children with neuromusculoskeletal conditions, burn injuries and other special heathcare needs within a compassionate, family-centered and collaborative care environment.
  • California Department of Education, Family Resources:
    The CDE website provides resources and support for parents, guardians, and families of chidren with disabilities.
  • Center for Parent Information and Resource
    The CPIR website provides information on specific disabilities, early intervention services for infants and toddlers, special education and related services in school, research on effective educational practices, state-by-state resources, and information on individualized education programs, educational rights, and transition planning for adolescents with disabilities.
  • Learning Disabilities:
    LD Online is a leading website on learning disabilities, learning disorders and differences. Parents of learning disabled children will find guidance on attention deficit disorder, ADD / ADHD, dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, dysnomia, reading difficulties, speech and related disorders.
  • Kern Regional Center:
    Any person in Kern, Inyo or Mono Counties who is believed to have, or be at risk of having a developmental disability may receive an assessment. Individuals of all ages, regardless of income, who are diagnosed as having a developmental disability are eligible to receive service coordination services through Kern Regional Center.
  • Kern Autism Network:
    Kern Autism Network is a local branch of the Autism Society of America, and provides information, training, and support to parents of children with autism spectrum disorders.
  • H.E.A.R.T.S. Connection:
    H.E.A.R.T.S. Connection is a family resource and empowerment center staffed by parents and family members of Kern County children with disabilities. The Family Resource Center provide families with parent-to parent-support, advocacy, training and assistance, resource coordination and information.
  • Autism Speaks:
    Autism Speaks is a national organization that provides information and support to parents and care givers working with children who have autism spectrum disorders