Kern County Consortium SELPA

Community Partners

Bakersfield ARC (BARC)
BARC’s mission is to build a stronger community by helping people with developmental disabilities achieve individual goals for a better life.

Since 1984, B-GLAD provides programs and services and functions as the only local coordinating agency addressing the broad social service needs of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community in Kern County.

California Children Services (CCS)
CCS is a statewide program that treats children with certain physical limitations and chronic health conditions or diseases. CCS can authorize and pay for specific medical services and equipment provided by CCS-approved specialists.

California Newborn Hearing Screening Program (NHSP)
NHSP offers parents of infants born in CCS approved hospitals the opportunity to have their child screened for hearing loss are linked to early intervention services through an established Early Start referral system.

Caring Corner
Daycare, nursing and educational programs for medically fragile children ages 0-21 years old. For more information contact Edee Ellenberger, RN (661) 847-7342

Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CBVI)
The Mission of the Center for the Blind & Visually Impaired is to provide opportunities that promote independence and enhance the quality of life for blind and visually impaired people in Kern County. CBVI works closely with the State of California’s Department of Rehab to help promote independence of the blind and visually impaired.

Darlyn’s Darlings
Daycare, nursing and educational programs for medically fragile children ages 0-21 years old. For more information contact Maryellen Bateman, RN (661)631-2273

Desert Area Resources & Training (DART)
Since 1961, DART, a private, not-for-profit corporation, provides services and opportunities to people who have developmental disabilities or other special needs, so they and their families can pursue the dreams and lifestyles they choose. DART is a provider of services for Regional Centers, Department of Rehabilitation, and Sierra Sands Unified School District.

Greater Bakersfield Council of the Blind
A local chapter of the California Council of the Blind. We are established to advocate for the rights of, and services to, people in and around the Bakersfield area who are Blind or visually impaired.

Goodwill Industries of South Central California
The mission of Goodwill Industries of South Central California is to provide work opportunities and skills development to people with barriers to employment.

H.E.A.R.T.S Connection

  • Parent-to-Parent Support
  • Mentor Program
  • Support Groups
  • Parent Trainings
  • IEP Clinics
  • Facilitated IEPs
  • Sibling Retreats/Activities
  • Resource Libraries
  • Family Social Events

Meetings are held monthly throughout Kern County for family members and friends. Meetings provide information on organizations and services and opportunities to meet other families to share joys, challenges and information. For more information, please call 661.328.9055.

HelpLine is a comprehensive computerized information and referral service designed to link people in need with the appropriate community and human services. If you need help finding a community resource for health care, jobs, counseling, or housing, or need to locate services for children, seniors or persons with disabilities, please call 661.336.5200 or 1.800.273.2275

Henrietta Weill Memorial Child Guidance Clinic
The Henrietta Weill Memorial Child Guidance Clinic provides the services and resources necessary to prevent and treat emotional and behavioral problems for Kern County children and their families. For more information or to make an initial appointment, please call the Child Guidance Clinic at 661.322.1021, Bakersfield or 661.725.1042, Delano.

Independent Living Center of County of Kern (ILCKC)
ILCKC offers a wide range of services to a growing population of persons with disabilities. These services are designed to empower persons with disabilities to grow creatively, professionally, personally, and to educate the community on disability issues. For more information, please contact 661.325.1063.

Kern Autism Network (KAN)
A parent support group that meets regularly and sponsors a local conference each year that brings well known experts in the field to Bakersfield. For more information, please contact Ramona Puget at 661.588.4235.

Kern County Department of Mental Health
The mission of Kern County Mental Health System of Care is to provide the most effective, culturally appropriate, highest quality combination of treatment and support to persons with mental illness, serious emotional disturbance, and/or addiction. For more information, please call 1.800.991.5272

Kern County Department of Human Services
A service related organization providing aid and services to the children and adults of Kern County including financial and medical aid, food and employment assistance and child welfare services including foster placement, adoption and family reunification.

Kern County Department of Public Health
The agency provides an array of services for people of all ages, including emergency medical services, infectious disease control, immunizations, public health labs, drug and alcohol abuse prevention/intervention/treatment, tobacco education, child health screenings/treatment, dental services, home health services, family planning, perinatal services, special services for seniors, AIDS testing/ counseling/ education and vital statistics.

Kern Regional Center (KRC)
Any person in Kern, Inyo or Mono Counties who is believed to have, or be at risk of having a developmental disability may recieve an assessment. Individuals of all ages, regardless of income, who are diagnosed as having a developmental disability are eligible to receive service coordination services.
KRC services include: diagnosis and evaluation, advocacy, community resource development, ongoing developmental screening for high risk infants, life-long service coordination, prevention programs, program evaluation and quality assurance and parent support services. Please call 661.327.8531 in Bakersfield and 760.375.9512 in Ridgecrest.

Mastering Abilities Riding Equines (M.A.R.E.)
M.A.R.E. is a therapeutic horse riding center that provides equine assisted programs to children and adults with physical and mental disabilities.

Ruggenberg Career Center
RCC provides vocational training for students in Special Education. The program, located at 610 Ansol Lane, has been in existence since 1972. Over 6,500 students have received job specific training during this time. Please call 661.366.4401.

Sierra Sands Unified School District
Please call 760.375.3923 

Transition to Independent Living Program (TIL) at Taft Community College
An educational experience for developmentally disabled adults emphasizing learning independent living skills. The program stresses the importance of teaching people to accept responsibility for decisions and choices they make. Participants for the program are selected from referrals made primarily by California Regional Centers, the Department of Rehabilitation, and high schools.

Bakersfield City School District
Please call 661-631-4600

Kern High School District
Please call 661-827-3100