Welcome to the Curriculum, Instruction & Accountability
The Curriculum, Instruction & Accountability team ensures support for quality academic programs for the new Common Core learning standards to Kern County’s 47 school districts.
Where are we located?
5th Floor, 1300 17th Street — City Centre
Bakersfield, CA 93301
Kathleen Hill, Director – Curriculum, Instruction and Accountability
Fax: (661) 636-4135
The Learning Center
2020 “K” Street
Bakersfield, California 93301
Monday – CLOSED
Tuesday – 10:30-7:00
Wednesday – 8:30-5:00
Thursday – 10:30-7:00
Friday – 8:30-5:00
Saturday – 10:00-4:00
Sunday – CLOSED
Our hope is to provide information and tools to students, teachers and parents, who may be interested in participating in the student events that are coordinated by the Kern County Superintendent of Schools office. These academic competitions involve approximately 30,000 Kern County students every year. Many Kern County students receive state or nationwide recognition.
- Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID)
- California Preschool Instructional Network (CPIN)
- Categorical Programs
- Education Technology
- English Language Arts
- English Language Learners
- Parents as Partners
- State Adopted Instructional List
- School Readiness
- Transitional Kindergarten
- Intern Teaching Program (coming soon..)
Common Core Standards
The following materials were developed for use by California County Superintendents Educational Services Association (CCSESA):
General Overview Materials
- Common Core Standards: Overview PowerPoint Presentation
- California’s Common Core Standards Parent Handbook
- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the Common Core Standards
- California’s Common Core Standards Resources
- Common Core State Standards Timeline
- SMARTER Balanced Assessment Consortium
- California’s Common Core Standards for Mathematics: Overview PowerPoint Presentation
- California Common Core Standards: Introduction to the Mathematics Administrator Snapshot
- California’s Common Core Content Standards: An Introduction for Teachers in Mathematics
- Common Core Content Standards for ELA: Overview PowerPoint Presentation
- California Common Core Standards: Introduction to the English Language Arts Administrator Snapshot part 1 part 2
- California’s Common Core Standards An Introduction for Teachers– English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Science and Science and Technical Subjects
- Benchmarking International Standards PowerPoint Presentation
- Comparison of International Benchmark Standards in Mathematics and Reading with Selected Common Core Standards and California Standards
CCSS Resource Update:
- A new publication is now available, both in hard-copy and online, under the “California Resources” section. A Look at Kindergarten Through Grade Six in California Public Schools: Transitioning to the CCSS in English Language Arts and Mathematics contains grade-level chapters with short descriptive narratives and content standards for the CCSS in English language arts and mathematics. The publication is excerpted from A Look at Kindergarten Through Grade Six in California Public Schools, an online resource that provides information regarding all curricular content areas.
- Under the “Common Core State Standards” section, a link has been added to a database developed by the Sacramento County Office of Education to search the CCSS by subject, grade, and subject category (domain/cluster) and is located at http://db.readinglions.net/commoncore/ (Outside Source).
For Information and Possible Action:
- The State Superintendent of Public Instruction (SSPI) is recruiting educators to serve on four focus groups to provide input on the revision of the Mathematics Framework. Applications are due January 5, 2012. The focus group recruitment letter and application can be found on the Mathematics Curriculum Framework Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ma/cf/.
- The SSPI has invited publishers of mathematics and language arts instructional materials to submit supplemental instructional materials that bridge the gap between programs currently being used by local educational agencies and the CCSS. Teachers and content experts are being recruited to review these supplemental materials for alignment to the CCSS. The reviewer application, general information, and a schedule of significant events can be found on the Curriculum Frameworks & Instructional Materials Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/cr/cf/suptsupmatreview.asp.
- SMARTER Balanced Assessment Consortium announced the Consortium’s revised content specifications for mathematics is available for review. This draft reflects revisions based on feedback from more than 200 individuals and organizations. Stakeholders will have until Tuesday, January 3, 2012, to submit feedback on this final review of the Mathematics Draft Content Specifications. Once finalized, the content specifications will serve as the basis for the SMARTER Balanced system of summative and interim assessments and formative assessment support for teachers. The Mathematics Draft Content Specifications materials, and instruction on how to provide feedback, are available on the SMARTER Balanced Web page at http://www.smarterbalanced.org/Resources.aspx (Outside Source).
Welcome to Education Technology
The Education Technology team ensures support for district technology integration into student learning by supporting teacher professional development and technology planning services.
Where we are located:
2000 K St-Larry E. Reider Education Center
2nd Floor Rm 209-210
Bakersfield, CA 93301
Kelly Bergen, Director
Coordinator, Education Technology
Kern County Superintendent of Schools
Links to additional resources: http://www.edtechkern.org