Welcome to the Network for Children
Created in 1992, the Kern County Network for Children (KCNC) harnesses the power of community action in identifying and addressing the most critical children’s issues in Kern County, including the prevention of child abuse and neglect.
KCNC programs and initiatives serve many functions to improve child safety outcomes for Kern County children and families and are carried out through the active involvement of government leaders, local community collaborative, nonprofit agencies, organizations, businesses and private individuals.
We believe in:
- Personal responsibility and family self-sufficiency as the cornerstones of resilient, stable communities;
- Grassroots solutions to local problems;
- Empowering local residents to address common concerns;
- Locally-based, accessible services;
- Program accountability and delivery of cost-effective services
- Foster Youth Directory 2014-2015
- 2013 Child Death Review Team Report
- The 2014 Report Card
- California Child Abuse Mandated Reporter Training
- Family Resource Center Service Matrix
- Kern Cares 2014/2015 Prevention Calendar
- Kern County Service Provider Resource Guide
- Sign up today to receive KCNC’s emails!
- Tweets by @kerncares
The mission of Kern County Network for Children is to protect and enrich the lives of children in Kern County through the commitment of all community partners by helping to build and sustain healthy families.
Child Abuse Prevention Month:
One Person – YOU – Can Make a Difference in the Life of a Child!
The prevention of child abuse and neglect is a community responsibility. It can be a matter of life or death.
Child abuse and neglect happens wherever children are, where they live, sleep, learn or play. In 2013, close to 18,000 reports of suspected abuse were filed in Kern County. Many more cases never get reported. Tragically, during 2013, 4 Kern County children died, 5 nearly died, and 8 suffered severe injuries as a result of child abuse or neglect — 16 of these 17 children were under age 4.
April is Child Abuse Prevention Month. Anything you do to support children and parents in your family and community helps reduce the likelihood of child maltreatment.
It’s our responsibility!
Learn how you can raise awareness of the law to protect more babies from being abandoned at KernCares.Org