Kern County Consortium SELPA


Read a list of commonly asked questions and answers. If your question isn’t mentioned, or you wish to discuss further, please call the KCC SELPA Behavioral Health Coordinator at (661) 636-4864.

1. When a parent declines an assessment
Parents may send a written revocation of consent at any time during the assessment process.

2. About the assessment process and timelines
Please see our ‘Assessment’ section above for information.

3. What is the role of the therapist when they are on campus?
Most frequently, they can provide individual therapy with the student in a place that insures privacy. They may also observe the student’s progress in class and/or consult with members of the IEP team including teachers. Ultimately, their role depends on the IEP’s decision as to how best to implement these interventions for the individual student.

4. How do I enter CASEMIS codes, locations, etc…?
Please see the services section of this website for a document describing CASEMIS codes. Specific entry questions regarding Siras should be directed to Lee Knotts-Martin at 661-636-4884.

5. Will my referral be rejected?
The IEP team ultimately will decide the appropriateness of educational supports including social emotional services. However, the referral itself will not usually be rejected unless it is missing critical information or a consent signature from the holder of educational rights.

6. Who sends the referral?
The Special Education Director of a district, or their designee initiates and sends the referral.

7. What about Crises?
ERMHS Services are not designed as crisis response. Please call 9-11 or your local mental health support hotline. Refer to ‘Further Resources’ above for more information.

9. Medication?
We do not provide medication services. However, through social work services our providers can help the family in accessing community supports through their insurance per request.

10. I have a transfer student what do I do with mental health services?
Contact the Behavioral Health Coordinator and provide a copy of the services listed on the current IEP so that comparable services can be delivered while the provider completes their assessment.

11. The eligibility for our student is not ED. Can we still refer?
Yes. Eligibility is determined by the IEP team and only dependent upon an IEP.

12. How do I start a referral?

13. Who is my provider?
Please go to ‘Our Providers’ above for more information on service providers and which geographic zones they are contracted to serve.

14. What’s the difference between mental health in the area and IEP driven mental health?
System of care providers in the area usually can be divided into those who work through Medi-cal and those who accept private insurance and cash. IEP driven mental health is funded through AB 114 and targets specifically those mental health challenges that affect school functioning. They are independent of insurance status but only apply to those students with active IEP’s.

15. What services are added when we make an ERMHS referral?
Services are individualized based on a number of factors including the results of the assessment and input from the IEP team. Service categories include individual, family or parent, group (if enough students locally are available in service) and social work services.
For more information see our section above entitled ‘Types of Services Offered’.

17. Home based services?
Students who are on home hospital, home instruction, or those students having difficulty attending school due to mental health barriers can still be referred through the IEP.

18. Concurrent referrals, how and why?
If a student is being tested for special education eligibility the district and parents may choose to refer the student for ERMHS services at the same time. However, services are still dependent upon qualification for special education through the district.

19. What can I expect when the provider reports on the assessment?
Please see our ‘Assessment’ section above for more information and a sample assessment report.

20. How do I get extended services? What is WRAP?
ERMHS services are specific to the needs of the child and there is no predetermined ‘service package’ called WRAP. Our services intensify according to an IEP determination that the current level of response is not effective and that further services (in type or frequency) would be helpful.
Please see CDE’s FAQ on WRAP for more information at

21. Insurance status – Medi-cal, non-medical
Insurance status does not affect availability of services.