Animal Keeper CALM
Under the direct supervision of the Curator of Animals, is responsible for providing animal care, monitoring animal health, maintaining cleanliness of animal enclosures, maintaining accurate records, and interacting and providing information to zoo visitors.
$14.58 per hour
- One year paid experience working with animals.
- Experience working with wild animals preferred.
- College coursework in psychology, biology, or zoology may be substituted for animal experience.
Minimum Education Requirement
High school graduate
- Passage of a pre-employment medical assessment; current tetanus shot.
- Some positions may require proof of privately owned automobile insurance and possess a valid California Motor Vehicle operator’s license.
Examples of Duties
Prepares and feeds regulated dietary food for animals; cleans animal enclosures including animal waste, feeding trays and water containers; maintains animal enclosure doors and locks; maintains exhibit plants; keeps work areas clean and free of clutter and maintains clean and organized exhibits; observes and evaluates animal condition, behavior responses and communicates observations verbally or in written reports; may perform minor repairs and preventative maintenance; works with volunteers and other CALM employees to engage with and communicate to zoo visitors; performs other related duties as assigned.
CALM office (661) 872-2256
Application for Employment – Substitute Temporary – Classified
All candidates must file a Substitute/Temporary Classified Application and Supporting documentation with the Human Resources Department at the Kern County Superintendent of Schools Office, 1300 17th Street, Bakersfield, CA, 93301. Applications are available below, or at our offices.
Substitute /Temporary Classified Employment Application (may be downloaded at www.kern.org/hr/)