Substitute Teaching Permits/Substitute Pay Rates

KCSOS Credential Services Department helps process applications for substitute teacher permits, authorizing substitute teaching services for K-12 public schools in California. Individuals interested in substitute teaching in Kern County must apply for the appropriate permit directly through KCSOS Credential Services.

Permit options include:

E-mail to determine your eligibility as a substitute teacher.

Credentialed Teacher Substitute Application Process

Emergency 30 Day Substitute Teacher Application Process
(Bachelor’s Degree or Higher, and Completion of Basic Skills Requirement)

Emergency Substitute Permit for Prospective Teachers Application Process
(Completion of 90 semester or 135 quarter units with proof of current enrollment at a 4 year CA college/university, and Completion of Basic Skills requirement)

Retired Credentialed Teacher Substitute Application Process

Note : Holders of a teaching and/or services credential do not need to apply for a substitute teaching permit.

Frequently Asked Questions for Day to Day Substitute Teachers

2023-24 District-Substitute Salary


Want to know if you do not need to take the CBEST exam ? Email

Attach transcripts from all Universities and Community Colleges attended and attach any other score reports or requirements met as indicated in the link below. Allow 3 to 5 business days for a response.