Pitfalls to Avoid
The following are based on a brainstorming session. Somethings to avoid when writing a grant
- Not meeting deadline (there are rarely exceptions to missing a deadline).
- Cost of maintaining and/or operating grant.
- Technology is not supported by school district or is incompatible.
- Need additional items to make a project successful (i.e. projector needed for SmartBoard to properly function).
- Approval from inside organization to implement project activities.
- Authorized signature needs to be appropriate person as defined by organization.
- Electronic uploading glitch with software and/or accountability (need to allow time to problem solve any potential problems).
- Reporting requirements can sometimes require additional support or staff.
- Important to work closely with business office to avoid incorrect benefits, salary and/or in-direct rates.
- Packaging the grant can take more time then expected. Allow a minimum of three hours for larger grants.