Q: What grant development support does KCSOS provide to Kern County school districts?
A: The KCSOS grant development director can provide consultation to Kern County school districts in the form of technical assistance. This technical assistance can range from an on-site one hour overview of resources on the web page to technical assistance during grant development. However, it is important to note that a significant amount of the proposal development will rest within the school district. The school district will need to designate a grant development team including a lead writer within the district. This is not only crucial to developing a competitive grant application, but also ensures that the program design meets school district needs. The following list provides recommended tasks that should be completed prior to contacting the Grants Development Office:
- Review the Grants Development Office web page (www.kern.org/grants) to explore on-line resources and identify possible grant opportunities from state, federal, and foundation sources to address your stated need
- Identify any potential funding opportunities
- Draft a one page summary that provides a conceptual overview and includes the following:
- school’s unmet need,
- the program you are proposing,
- major program activities,
- a timeline
- Draft an estimate budget narrative for the project
- Recruit a team (3 to 4 persons) to help in the grant development process with one person assigned to be the lead writer.
- Seek District approval from Superintendent and/or supervisor before progressing too far into the process. The one page overview can be useful in presenting the concept or idea.
Q: Does KCSOS provide grant writing classes?
A: Throughout the year, KCSOS will highlight grant writing classes available on the http://kern.org/grants website. In addition, short how–to video segments and online resources are provided at http://kern.org/grants/how-to-section/. Other potential resources include local college and university extension classes.
Q: Are there opportunities to partner with KCSOS in applying for grant opportunities?
A: KCSOS provides services to 47 school districts throughout Kern County; therefore, the organization is in a position to apply for grants in a variety of roles, such as, the lead agency with a consortium of school districts to partnering with an agency in applying for a grant application. Grants are often highly competitive and partnerships provide an opportunity to combine strengths and gain a competitive edge. In addition, it builds an opportunity for long-term collaborative efforts. If your agency or school district is interested in developing a partnership, please contact the Grant Development Office for more assistance.
Q: Who do we contact if our agency needs a letter of support or commitment for a grant opportunity?
A: If you need a letter of support or commitment, please contact the Grant Development Office for further assistance. To expedite the process, please submit an overview of the grant opportunity, deadline and information on what the letter needs to cover.