Improving Literacy Through School Libraries Released
The US Department of Education released the Request for Application for the Improving Literacy Through School Libraries application. Go to http://www2.ed.gov/programs/lsl/applicant.html
This program helps LEAs improve reading achievement by providing students with increased access to up-to-date school library materials; well-equipped, technologically advanced school library media centers; and professionally certified school library media specialists.
Districts may use funds for the following activities:
- Purchase up-to-date school library media resources, including books;
- Acquire and use advanced technology that is integrated into the curricula to develop and enhance the information literacy, information retrieval, and critical-thinking skills of students;
- Facilitate Internet links and other resource-sharing networks;
- Provide professional development for school library media specialists of PK-3 students and provide activities that foster increased collaboration among library specialists, teachers, and administrators of PK-12 students; and
- Provide students with access to school libraries during nonschool hours, weekends, and summer vacations.