Mobile Nav

Community Connection For Child Care

Kern County Superintendent of Schools

Large Family Child Care Homes

Family Child Care Home and Child Care Center Licensing Requirements
Large Family Child Care Home

AFTER BEING LICENSED FOR ONE (1) YEAR, or if you have been an administrator of a licensed child care center, you may apply for a large family child care license (9 to 14 children, including your own under age 10). You will need to have an assistant.

Steps to Obtain a Large Family Child Care License:

1. Contact your licensing evaluator. The evaluator will send an application and informational letter regarding large family child care homes. Processing takes approximately two months.

2. Call the Planning Department to get information regarding a ministerial permit and business license.

Each Planning Department has different fees:

City of Bakersfield
City Planning Department

1715 Chester Ave.
Bakersfield, CA 93301
(661) 326-3733
$25 minimum annual

Kern County Office Department of Planning and Development Services
2700 M St., Suite 100
Bakersfield, CA 93301
(661) 862-8600
business license $65

City of Ridgecrest
100 W. California Ave.
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
(760) 371-3721

For outlying areas, contact local City Planning Department for fee information.

3. A fire clearance is required in facilities licensed for 14. The licensing evaluator will order the fire clearance. A fire inspector will make an appointment with you to conduct an inspection. A dependable fire alarm must be approved by the City or County Fire Department.

Bakersfield City: 326-3951
County: 861-2577
Ridgecrest: (760) 371-2181

Helpful Hint: Request a fire inspection prior to completing application to see if you can be licensed for 14.

4. Arrange for your assistant provider to be fingerprinted and obtain a TB clearance.

5. Provide proof of permits and TB clearance to evaluator, who will process your application when fire clearance and permits have been approved.

back to top