Mobile Nav

Community Connection For Child Care

Kern County Superintendent of Schools

Additional Requirements

Family Child Care Home and Child Care Center Licensing Requirements

Additional Requirements
All Family Child Care Providers must have 15 hours of health education training, including at least eight hours of pediatric CPR, pediatric first aid and three hours of preventive health practices.

Landlord Notification
Providers licensed for 8 or 14 children must obtain consent from the property owner/landlord to operate a child care business from their residence. If a provider chooses to operate a family child care business with no more than 6 or 12 children, he or she must notify his or her property owner/landlord of their intent to operate a family child care business from his or her residence; however, consent is not required.

Parental Notification
Providers must notify a parent, prior to admitting each child, that they may/will be providing care for two additional school-age children and there may be 8 or 14 children present in the home at one time. This notification must be in writing and signed by the parent acknowledging receipt of the notification. The signed receipt must be retained in each child’s file.

What’s Next
Once you have been licensed, call Community Connection for Child Care (CCCC) to take advantage of the following services:

  • Free Referrals: Child care centers are required to provide a report containing the immunization status of each child enrolled on an annual basis. This office should also be contacted if the facility will be using a private well for drinking water.
  • Book Lending Library: Includes books about business, contract policies, recordkeeping and age-appropriate activities. Family child care providers may come in during office hours, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m.- 5 p.m., first Saturday of each month, 10 a.m.- 12 p.m., or by appointment, to check out books, cassette tapes, videos, or movies for a two-week period.
  • Kern County Family Child Care Association (KCFCCA): An organization of child care professionals which meets monthly to provide support and information to members. The organization also offers workshops and activities throughout the year.
  • Food Program: The Child Care Food Program is a nationwide program funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). The program offers education and support to providers in addition to providing cash repayment for meals served to children in licensed family child care homes.
  • Equipment and Toy Lending: Cribs, high chairs, bikes, easels and more are available to borrow on a short term (one-month) or long term (three-month) basis to help offset start-up costs.
back to top